Sunday, June 26, 2011

So...this is it?

I recently decided to rent a small, one bedroom house in my hometown of Aneta, ND. Yes...a one bedroom house. It seems like a silly decision, but it's all I really need and there aren't a whole lot of options around here. I walked into the house knowing that the old tenant had left some stuff and hadn't cleaned much up. Well...I might have bitten off more than I can chew! Good thing I'm an HGTV addict.

The photo above is from the kitchen, which is the first thing I saw. It's hard not to notice the Coors Light decor. Good thing I'm a Coors girl! Just kidding, that was the first thing to go! Once I removed the Coors Light boxes I found that the fridge had been painted blue from it's original Harvest Gold....oh boy. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet, but you'll know when I do! You'll also notice the garbage on the floor. What you don't see is the rotting food in the fridge, and the ceiling border of matching Coors Light boxes. See what I mean when I said I had my work cut out for me?



Above is the view from the kitchen into the living room. There was some furniture left behind...which I don't think I'll keep. However, the hardwood floors are beautiful, and I'm really excited to polish those up. I also love the big windows and window sill. All of the wood trim is original to the house and I love the look of that. I'm definitely not going to paint over that....the walls, however....





To the right is a corner of the bedroom. You'll notice the beautiful blue paint that appears on quite a few of the walls. I'll need primer to paint over that before I can paint the walls my desired color...a nice, neutral tan. Call me bland, but I'd rather be bland than hate my wall color in a few weeks. Plus I don't really know what furniture I'll be using yet so I don't want anything to clash!





Above is my first view of the bathroom....I know, what am I thinking!? The good news is that it isn't mold on the wall, it's just the wall falling apart!! Haha...oh boy. So for now I'm just cleaning it....bleaching it...so that I can use it. I'm still trying to figure out a more permanent solution. Also, I'm only renting the house so I don't want to make too many changes. The good news, though, is that any money I put into the house comes out of my rent, so either way I'll be spending the money. The question is whether I want to put in the labor as well...





So follow me as I try to fix up a house as best I can! I'm only one person...more specifically, one person without experience in home care, maintenance, building, etc. So, HGTV, if you're reading this, please help!! :)

1 comment:

  1. This really should've been posted on June 23, because I've already made progress!

    ReplyDelete