Sunday, June 26, 2011

There's paint EVERYWHERE!!

Today I started painting. I picked up some Kilz Primer and Valspar paint in Lyndhurst Timber (http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explore-colors/color-selector/#3). I've never painted a room before, let alone a whole house. When I was growing up my room had thick wood paneling (not the kind you can just paint over). You would run your hand over the wall and get a splinter. Paneling makes me wonder, why did people ever think this was a good idea? But I suppose in thirty years they'll be saying the same thing about my generation!

I taped off all of the bedroom and started priming over that crazy blue color. It didn't cover easily, but I got 'er done! Apparently there was paneling under the blue paint, and if you haven't painted over paneling before, I wouldn't suggest it. You need to take a brush and paint in each groove of the paneling, or the color underneath won't be covered. Ugh! It took quite a while, but I got the whole bedroom primed, along with the burgundy wall in the living room and the blue wall in the kitchen. My mother was nice enough to come and help me with some taping in the living room which helped things to go a bit faster, but like I said earlier, I'd really like to do this myself--a life journey of sorts.

The pictures weren't too clear earlier (my apologies), but you might have been able to see that the living room already has a few tan walls along with one burgundy wall. Both my mom and grandma (who just had to stop by) mentioned that they're about the same color. Well, just to prove them wrong I opened the can and smeared the new color over the old. It's a few shades lighter and I really think it's going to brighten up the room and make it appear much larger. They agreed once they saw them side by side. The bedroom and living room are well on their way to being a new, boring but lovable, tan! My work continues on Tuesday, as tomorrow I need to help a friend move, and then work all night. I just keep thinking of how nice it's going to be when it's all done and I can have my very first house warming party! Keep your eye out for an invite!

No comments:

Post a Comment